Thursday, August 12, 2010

Heritage


Something Interesting about heritage that I learned in my African Dance class is that before you speak in big groups, you are introduced by your whole generation line. By the first person that came here(SA in this case) straight down to you. This is something you must learn as you are young. How crazy it that? I mean today is my maternal grandma's 80thbirthday and I only know about generations until my great grandmother and that is from stories and the pictures in my grandma's house. I have been always told that you need to know where you come from to know where you going and I also learned that everyone has a story. But as I think about it, I don't know much about my family history, where we are from before Virginia or any of that. I know that there are many pieces missing from my story and that the people that do know some don't see the history as relevant enough to share. It is not like I don't care to know, but it is considered rude to keep asking a question that is not being answered.

Very similiar to a number of blacks in America, we know that we are somehow of African Descent. But as I believe, the first men were created here so, we all are of African descent, My biggest question is where in Africa? or Where after Africa? Many people of color have been dispersed across the world. Where? I know that there is also a possibility of some Caribbean in my family as well based on the fact that I am commonly mistaken as being West Indian, Dominican, or Jamaican. Its crazy how much black American means in America. I know that there is definitely some sort of white in my family maybe as close as four generations above me.

Its has always been interesting for me to watch people trace their history and figure out where they come from. To think about that, there is a reason why it is on TV and that the people that are able to do this are celebrities. It costs a fortune to do this trace and gather that much history. As oppose to telling your children who will then tell theirs and so on. Many people have issues when it comes to history, but it is something that is good to know and to learn and pass on. Your history is what makes you you!---why you do the things you do, the way you do them, etc.

History is a form of education and Knowledge is power! so if you have a story to tell the little ones in your family, don't be afraid to share. This is a thing where sharing is caring.

Stay Royal!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The best way to find out is through family but if that doesn't work you can always pay money and try www.ancestry.com. I heard this site works but I am not for certain though but good luck and it is always good to know because I still have yet to see a picture of my grandfather on my mother side and all I wanna do is know what he looks like.

BIGGMAMA21 said...

HI BABYDOLL IF YOU WANT TO KNOW SOMETHING YOU HAVE TO ASK AND IF THAT PERSON CAN'T TELL YOU WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ASK THEM WHO CAN! GUESS WHAT I SPOKE TO YOUR FATHER'S SISTER WOW! I WILL GIVE YOU MORE INFO WHEN I SPEAK TO YOU. IT'S BEEN OVER 20YRS! UNBELIEVIBLE HUH! I MISS YOU AND LOVE YOU GOD BLESS YOU AND KEEP YOU SAFE!!!

Royal Queen E said...

Lmfao yea thanks guys, I will look into it when I get home