**Many of these statements will be considered generalization, but this is definitely based off of what i have seen and encountered in my experience thus far.**
MEN: Men in South Africa are very persistent! I mean if you give your number out, some of my friends have had cases where the guy has called about 14times in two days. Do they not know the wait 48hr rule? lol
---Personal Experience--- I gave this man who makes earrings my number because I have been in search of lion earrings that Ms. Fierce got when she was here. He makes them so, he gives me an order form and I write my number down and what I want and he say: Can I call you to hang out, I think your pretty. I say "No, I am going to class and don't call me until the earrings are made please." Mind you, he is really old and Duh, I am not single...lol....Anyways he called me 10 times after my dance class that day and 9 times the next day. What the hell?? I texted him-cause its cheaper that he needs not to call or text me unless it is strictly business and I have been avoiding him since.
Men are also very aggressive, they like to touch and grab you. They are very forward in the streets as in what they will say to you. along with the persistence. They will chase you down even after you have denied them and come up to you and say"I just wanted your number" as if you didn't just deny them.
Men are very disrespectful to women, women are considered to be beneath a man even more than in the United States. It is crazy, the things that they will say to you and your first instinct is to say "Fuck Off"-South African lango....lol...

----Personal Experience----We are at the mini-bus station and we are confused as to which one to get one. The one that takes you to Mowbray-which is 4 blocks away from Rosebank- is cheaper. So, we go to that one and he is trying to much 6 of us on the mini bus that has room for only 2. I mean although it is only 5rand, I want a seat. we go to another one and there is this lady yelling and another guy who acts as if he doesn't want us there because we are Americans so, we walk down as if we were going to the next mini-bus but there is a bench so, we go to sit down. The man says "You can't sit there, you are messing up our business" so, I said "We need a bus to Mowbray", he points as if we are suppose to know where to go and as we walk he says "What do you think you walked out of heaven." I don't understand!!
Another thing is if you let a man buy you a drink here, supposedly you have to tell him that you are not his because he brought you a drink. That is outrageous, the theories that are here is crazy. Another interesting thing here is the relationships. If a man asks you to be his girlfriend or even his friend, that means that you are his girlfriend and his friends if he wants to pass you to him. He wants sex, then as a woman, you have to give it to him whenever he asks. WOW tell me this is not crazy.
WOMEN: Very catty here as a well as in the U.S. but there are also girls that are very friendly. Afro is not a big thing here for women, twists are very big here! so, i definitely stand out with my Afro. The hairstyles and the style of dress is very cute, everyone looks like manicans.
Children: The children are often used to beg because people feel that they will get more money. The children here are also the one to rob the Americans and the whites because usually people are more open to children.
The children here are more street smart than anything and school is not something that is a main priority when you have to think about food and a place to live. As for those who are going to school, it is something that is important and many of the school kids have after school activities, such as drum bands to make money and even just selling snacks to people.
Another thing that I have noticed here is that children are also forced to grow up fast. Young children have a lot of responsibility, even as much as college students in the U.S.
BOTH GENDERS:
Manners: Excuse me and personal space is non-existent here. If you have an issue with personal space, Cape Town will definitely help you get over it fast!
Hygiene: There is a big issue with that here, some people smell beautiful and look very nice. Some look very nice and smell HORRIBLE. I mean i have smelled musk before, but NEVER in my life have I smelled musk like this. especially students getting on the Jammie
because the Jammie is always packed and then some people have the nerve to raise their arms. WTH, I just can't take it. Not only is the musk a big issue here, but also dental hygiene. Some people speak and you would swear that the garbage just opened. I mean don't get me wrong, this is not me dissing the people here, but what I have experienced.Time: Time is a very conflicting issue here as well. As an American, I know that I revolve around time. When you give me a time, it should be around that time, unless it is very casual...lol... No but seriously "Just Now-I will get to it" "Now Now-means right now" "Now- 3hrs+" is some terminology used in South Africa, that definitely doesn't have the same meaning as the words do in the U.S.
Well that's all for now
Stay Royal!
1 comment:
WOW! I GUESS YOU WILL HAVE SOME STORIES TO TELL ABOUT THE DIFFERENT CULTURES! LOVE YOU! MISS YOU! SMOOCHES! GOD BLESS
Post a Comment