Thursday, July 22, 2010

MONEY IS THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL

Everyone has a different perspective on money and what it means to them. Here is South Africa, money means a lot to the locals and even to me. There are a number of people in my program that spend money like water and that is their prerogative, but don’t tell me how to spend my money. If I don’t want to get in a cab that is 100rand then don’t tell me I am cheap. I want to spend my money how I want to spend it and that is my business. Based on the fact that we are a big group and we do a lot together, money has become a major issue when it comes to going out. Getting in cabs, DON’T JUST jump out the cab and not pay, like come on. That is ridiculous that I have to collect the money for the cab before we pull over. On top of that, if you’re a dude and you are in a cab with a bunch of females, you should offer to pay for the whole thing instead of jumping out the cab. Another issue with this is that IF I LET YOU HOLD SOME MONEY, I shouldn’t have to beg or even ask for it back. I have learned that dealing with money with different groups cause a lot of confusion. It is not a pretty site, but god will not give you anything you can’t handle right? Don’t let money change who you are and remember, EVERYTHING happens for a reason and you learn from everything!

Not knowing what you have until its gone ---may need a different name

Looking back at my short period of life, I don’t realize how ­well taken care of I am. I know I constantly say that I am well-taken care of, as oppose to saying I am spoiled. But I am really well taken care of! I am in a country that was built off of black slaves and still to this day has black people that are mentally enslaved. We are not verbally told that we-as black people- are unable to do things, but more so shown through the systems. We are challenged more than any of group of people I have seen. We are strong and constantly trying to prove our strength. Any who because I know people get touchy when it comes to racial issues, I will move on. Food for Thought: The best way to approach something is to tackle it head on.

Back to the Well Taken Care of Portion: No, I haven’t been able to take advantage of all of the opportunities thrown towards me, but I am very fortunate and blessed to be able to experience all that I have thus far. I am in South Africa worried about what I am going to do for my 21st birthday. HELLO YOU ARE IN SOUTH AFRICA ERICA, how many people can say they did that? But seriously looking back, I have been and I am still very well taken care of. No, I will not get everything I want the first time I try, but with persistence and determination, anything is possible. So let’s take a look at some fortunes.

School: I live in private housing owned by my all-white private college. I am fortunate to have a scholarship where I don’t have to worry about paying rent and I don’t have to take out massive loans. I am able to go to school for almost free 99. I have two jobs on my campus so; I don’t have to depend on my mother to send money or anyone for that matter. I have been groomed to be independent, but I am still able to have the family support in which a number of people my age are missing. My school has offered me two opportunities and study abroad and I have been able to participate in take both opportunities.

So here I am in South Africa, registered to attend the top school in the continent and I am realizing how inconvenient everything is. Nothing here is taken care of for me, besides the housing. I have to food shop on my own and figure out a way to communicate with the people here because I don’t speak a lick of Africkans, Zulu, Tosa or the rest of the 12 languages spoken here. My American accent definitely helps me to stand out and I am diving into a new culture. I have to pay for internet, to print and there is only the option of a pre-paid phone. I am unable to function without the luxury of my life back home. The transitioning phase is bothering me more than I thought.

We do have a cleaning lady that comes to my apartment every Monday to clean the bathroom and the kitchen, which is definitely different from home. It is not common to tip here when you go anywhere-restaurants, cabs, someone that helps you. Everyone is so pleasant and although I am a black woman, I am still a target. In South Africa, ethnicity is more important than race. Everything is so different and it is sad that I have to go to a third world country to realize I am rich to many and NOT just life as I say, but an all-around rich person. One man’s trash can be another man’s treasure. Until next time, stay royal.

3 comments:

BIGGMAMA21 said...

hey baby this is where you learn to appreciate the finer things in life!you don't borrow so you don't len you keep things in perspective and it will go a long way(remember the sonG FOR THE LOVE OF MONEY!)LOL!! I miss you and love you stay as sweet as you are and may GOD KEEP YOU SAFE ENJOY THE RIDE!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

the money is a issue! dont lend it! cuz ppl aint funny quick and take the unoffical cabs its usually 60 or 70 to long street for 4 ppl u can usually get them from next 7/11 and when u find a good one get his card

Anonymous said...

oh yea and things will get better *sings* ooooh child things are gonna get easier

just enjoy it and stop being cheap