Thursday, July 22, 2010

Cape Town South Africa Part 2

My desk and furniture TV & VHS player

Wow, my apartment is sweet! I love it! My roommate Kia and unofficial roommate Jaime decides to take a walk into town, we adventure off to the campus and to see the beautiful city. The mountains follow you as you walk through the town, it is absolutely amazing. There are not that many students here because of the break. The world cup just ended yesterday so, there are so many foreigners here. Two blocks away from our apartment complex lies the University of Cape Town. Whoo hoo, we are so excited to journey off to see some new people or anyone outside of the people associated with our program. There are palm trees; South Africa gives you that whole California feel. Well at least in the day time. The scenery is just amazing and traveling with two other adventurous people made it better. As we walked around the campus trying to avoid the construction, we came across a field with a track around it that had a great view. Here you can see the mountain, the city of Cape Town. The high altitude of the school building makes you feel like a god looking over his people. This trip was short because we had to get back for a cultural dinner. In order to get back to the apartment complex, we had to cross a bridge placed over a highway. Check out the view


Even while I am writing this, I still can’t believe I am in Africa!! I am in Africa!!  We get back and meet up with my RA as we travel to the all Africa room to eat “Gatsby “sandwiches with French fries in it. It was great! So, now that everyone has finished eating, it’s time to party. Orientation officially begins tomorrow so, we are all going to go out to party. The RA didn’t suggest it, but we will find our way because Abe was here for a couple of days before us. We go to Long Street which is known for all the student parties and the hang out spot. We take a cab and we wind up going to an Irish Bar known as the Dubliner. The crowd was great because the World Cup just ended and we have a nice group full of people from all over the world. We are dancing, the DJ is singing, and drinks are being brought, the vibe is great! The only problem with this place is that everyone culturally smokes in South Africa so; the cigarette smoke bothers me a lot. I made very good friends with the body guard because I had to constantly come out of the bar to breathe and allow my lungs to get their color back. We left the bar to go and look for somewhere else to go, walking down Long Street; there are so many people with their hand out and you can only give so much. We were instructed not to give anything because just like in the United States, some people use it on drugs and alcohol. After all, we didn’t find anything and we winded up going back to the Dubliner. On our way there, there was a man running after another man who robbed. Boy everything is just done right in the open when you’re outside. Any who, I am tired because I have yet to go to sleep and actually relax so, I don’t want to be here, but I don’t want to be in the house So; because the smoke is so bad, I remain by the door. Here is where I meet a man whose name slips my mind from Nigeria. He is in a band called butt-nutt or something with a butt. Hahahahaha but yea he was very chill and polite, he was very knowledgeable about Nigeria and London. Any who, he leaves to go to the bar and I turn around and there is this huge guy standing in my face. What the Fuck??? Guys here are so aggressive, so he just was way too close because personal space is an issue here, but I don’t like that the guys are so aggressive. Thank god for my roommate because she set him straight. This is definitely was a clue for me to leave. I went back to the apartment and SLEEP IT WAS. Until next time, stay Royal!

2 comments:

BIGGMAMA21 said...

HEY BABY THAT PIC IS HOT! ROYALTY ON THE MOUNTAIN TOP! YOU GO GIRL GOD BLESS YOU! MISS YOU LOVE YOU MUCHHHHH

Anonymous said...

wowsers!!!!! i cant believe the dubliner was the only thing poppin ewwwwwww but okk im glad your getting out! i forgot to warn you abt the smoke but it doesn bother me as much i hope u have better times on long!